Re: Same problem with my Personal Decstation 5000/25

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 08:17:34PM +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> A Personal DECstation a.k.a. Maxine does not have ttyS2 - the serial
> port is ttyS0 there.

Ah. That should have dawned on me from the start. In fact, I even
spent some time wondering what internally could be occupying serial
0 and 1. Chalk that up to tunnelvision...

> Unfortunately, you will not get very far even with
> the correct console device, as there is a bug in the Linux kernel which
> causes a complete freeze of the system right after starting the
> installer on this kind of system. This happens _only_ on Personal
> DECstations, but nobody has yet been able to find out the reason for
> the crash yet. This crash is the reason why the Personal DECstation
> series is listed as "currently unsupported" in the Debian/mipsel
> install documentation.

Thanks. I've gotten Linux and *BSD onto "unsupported" hardware in
the past, but usually had to do with needing to use another OS to
format the filesystems, install the directory structure and kernel.
In this case it sounds more serious. Guess I'll just have to go with
the method in the DECstation Linux HOWTO and hack together a Debian
installation by hand afterward. (The HOWTO also pointed out my ttyS0
blunder... how embarrassing.)

If/when I get this working I'll see if I can't track down at what
point in CVS the kernel ceases to boot properly. But if you have any
info on what the most recent kernel known to boot on a maxine is,
please let me know. Most of the DECstation Linux docs out there
haven't been updated in a while...
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); ICQ(114362511);
WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl);