Re: No script to make CDs bootable for mips ...

> > This still probably doesn't solve the blocksize problem.  Also, I've never
> > used it, so I have no idea if it works or not.
> >=20
>
> It will also only work on IRIX with an "mkfs" which supports "efs".

I'll assume then, that this script could be used with the IRIX
cdwrite utilities to create 512-byte/block SGI bootable CDs.  What hardware
is required to do this?  I'm supposing your standard PC/Mac SCSI external
burner wouldn't cut it.

Anyway, it could be used in the interim to create bootable Debian discs, to
help bootstrap the mips distribution. The problem is that users would not be
able to create their own bootable discs unless they had IRIX and the
developer tools on the machine already, which is a barrier for those who
get secondhand machines with no IRIX or no HDD.

However, there's always TFTP for those who can't create bootable CDs.

And we can always work on EFS writing support in Debian later, once
everybody's SGI is running Debian. 8)

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253