Re: No script to make CDs bootable for mips ...

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 04:45:39PM -0500, Ian Viemeister wrote:
> A while back I created a bootable debian-mips cd by putting the
> tftpboot.img in the volume header of an (otherwise emtpy) SGI-format CD.
> It loaded directly from that, and then I fed it the other (non-bootable)
> CDs for the install.  I wasn't familar enough with the scripts that
> create the platform CDs to integrate the bootable cd with "Disc 1".
> If anyone is willing to point me in the right direction on that
> documentation, I can take care of this easily.
>
> It will be slightly more complicated than just creating an ext2
> filesystem on a slice of the CD, since the kernel appears not to
> know how to deal with partitions on CDs.  I've gotten around that
> before by using a loopback mount as though the CD device was a file,
> and passing an offset to "losetup" to bypass the volume header.
> Since "losetup" is not currently part of the installation environment,
> I'll need to know how to add it.
Great news! I'm sure the guys at debian-{boot,cd}@lists.debian.org can
answer your questions. To add losetup have a look at the
scripts/rootdisk/EXTRACT_* stuff in bootfloppies.

I think the "correct" way to create bootable CDs is using EFS since the
Indy's PROM can handle this. Are there any tools for writing EFS? A
google search revealed nothing usefull.
 -- Guido