Re: No script to make CDs bootable for mips ...

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 15:01:48 +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 06:10:31AM +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
>> IIRC Flo told me that the driver problem on the Indy has been
>> resolved.
>> The reason we cannot provide bootable CDs is really that we have no
>> bootloader able to boot from an ISO9660-CD. Neither the Indy nor the
>> DECstation firmware can do that.
>The IRIX CDs aren't ISO9660 so I doubt the Indy Prom can in any way
>handle this. Someone with some free time could easily try to build a CD
>with a SGI volume header containing arcboot and an ext2 filesystem. This
>would give as bootable Installation-CDs.

A while back I created a bootable debian-mips cd by putting the
tftpboot.img in the volume header of an (otherwise emtpy) SGI-format CD.
It loaded directly from that, and then I fed it the other (non-bootable)
CDs for the install.  I wasn't familar enough with the scripts that
create the platform CDs to integrate the bootable cd with "Disc 1".
If anyone is willing to point me in the right direction on that
documentation, I can take care of this easily.

It will be slightly more complicated than just creating an ext2
filesystem on a slice of the CD, since the kernel appears not to
know how to deal with partitions on CDs.  I've gotten around that
before by using a loopback mount as though the CD device was a file,
and passing an offset to "losetup" to bypass the volume header.
Since "losetup" is not currently part of the installation environment,
I'll need to know how to add it.

Ian Viemeister
iviemeister@nutleyschools.org
Systems Administrator