Re: X, mouse, oss.sgi.com?

On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:43:25PM +0100, Guido Guenther wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2002 at 11:35:10AM +0000, Greg MATTHEWS wrote:
> [..snip..]
> > i never got the ps2 mouse working properly under X even after creating the
> > /dev/psaux i could get X to start but mouse movement was erratic with spurious
> I've not used this for quiet some time(since gpm's repeater mode gives
> you a cut'n'paste on the console and in X) - but this definitely once worked.
> This does *not* work if you're running both gpm and X. Could you check
> if it's still flaky, when you're disabling gpm?
>
> > button events. the solution (from this list) was to use /dev/gpmdata and set
> > up gpm to use the raw option. this does have the unfortunate side effect of
> > not being tunable so mouse movement is a bit slow. i also have a 24bit card
> Isn't that tunable in gpm?

The problem with gpm and repeater mode is that you cant open /dev/psaux
more than once. Normally when running gpm + X (gpm in non repeater mode)
gpm closes the device when you switch to X. X opens the device and you
are happy. If you are running gpm in repeater mode it will NOT stop
reading from /dev/psaux or close it. Which means X cant work if using
/dev/psaux. You NEED to use /dev/gpmdata.

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium