X, mouse, oss.sgi.com?

Hi,

How do I get X running on my SGI R4600 Newport XL Indy?  I'm
running Debian unstable and have installed all the relevant
packages, but I can't seem to get a usable display in X.  All
indications seem to say that this graphics card is supported.
Also, when I boot Linux 2.4.16 (from ftp.rfc822.org), the ps/2
mouse is not detected.  I had a look at the config file for it,
and it seems support was enabled for this device.

Has anyone gotten the 2.5.x kernels from oss.sgi.com to work?
Mine crash with a strange panic at bootup...  :\

Regards,
--
wca