Re: X, mouse, oss.sgi.com?

> How do I get X running on my SGI R4600 Newport XL Indy?  I'm
> running Debian unstable and have installed all the relevant
> packages, but I can't seem to get a usable display in X.  All
> indications seem to say that this graphics card is supported.
> Also, when I boot Linux 2.4.16 (from ftp.rfc822.org), the ps/2
> mouse is not detected.  I had a look at the config file for it,
> and it seems support was enabled for this device.

i never got the ps2 mouse working properly under X even after creating the
/dev/psaux i could get X to start but mouse movement was erratic with spurious
button events. the solution (from this list) was to use /dev/gpmdata and set
up gpm to use the raw option. this does have the unfortunate side effect of
not being tunable so mouse movement is a bit slow. i also have a 24bit card
but havent yet tried the most up to date binary. i generally go with what
apt-get dist-upgrade gives me for 'testing'!

GREG