Re: lintian errors packaging Barry's Emacs

On 27/12/2022 01:37, Santiago Vila wrote:
El 26/12/22 a las 16:28, Barry Scott escribió:
E: bemacs source: malformed-debian-changelog-version 8.9.3 (for non-native) [debian/changelog:1]

It seems that the changelog issue is around lintian mandating a issue to close? I have no issue what do I put in the changelog? Or do I have to configure this
check off?

It's not related to closing issues. Look at the error message: it says [debian/changelog:1] that the error happens in the very first line of the debian/changelog, probably you wrote something like this as the very first line:

bemacs (8.9.3) unstable; urgency=medium

This is only ok if you are creating a native package.
I assume your package is not native, so version should really be 8.9.3-1 for the first Debian revision, 8.9.3-2 for the second, and so on.
Your guess is correct I did not have a <debian-version> in the changelog.

I was going to ask where that was set.

E: bemacs source: python3-depends-but-no-python3-helper bemacs

This seems to mean that I need something in the rules file to make lintian be happy. My build system can set the shebang to what ever is expected. I have tried with
/usr/bin/python3 and /usr/bin/python3.10 both get errors.

Explanation here:

https://lintian.debian.org/tags/python3-depends-but-no-python3-helper

My advice here is to take a look at other Debian python packages.

Happy to do that but I do not know how to go from a package like
python3-brotli and find its source to read.

I found https://sources.debian.org/ but I've failed to track down that
package. I tried a couple of packages to hunt for.

How do I go from a installed package and find its debian source?

I'm guessing that I need to add a call to something, a  macro expansion maybe that I can use in my build logic. When I do that I assume that lintian will be
happy that I did things right in the build.

E: bemacs source: source-is-missing [HTML/extn_intro.html]

This I am baffled by. The named sources are in the bemacs_8.9.3.orig.tar.gz but this
error claims they are not present.

Explanation here:

https://lintian.debian.org/tags/source-is-missing

I read this and found myself none the wiser.  It says this:
"The source of the following file is missing. Lintian checked a few
possible paths to find the source, and did not find it."

No where does it say that lintian is assuming that
the file is the result of machine generation from source that is not
in the package.

Did you really write extn_intro.html by hand from scratch, or maybe you created it
from something else before putting it inside bemacs_8.9.3.orig.tar.gz?

Yes I hand write HTML. FYI the original versions of these files is very old 30+ years ago
and predate markdown etc.

Lintian thinks it's the latter, hence the complain. If it's really the former,
use a lintian override.

I figured out the override to silence the error.

Barry