Re: lintian errors packaging Barry's Emacs

Hi Barry,

Barry Scott <barry@barrys-emacs.org> writes:
> I am build my first Debian package for Barry's Emacs
> (https:://barrys-emacs.org)

Aside from Santiagos technical tips: If you really want to contribute
your package to the Debian distribution, you should also have a few
other things in mind:

* Your package should come with a proper DFGS compliant [1] license. Your
  Github upstream package [2] doesn't have one, and it would be useful
  (not only for Debian packaging) to add one there.

* I would recommend to follow the usual procedures here. Specifically,
  you should open an "Intend To Package" (ITP) bug [3] to indicate your
  packaging efforts.

* The target distribution for the packaging is "unstable" (sid). From
  there it migrates to the Debian distribution. It also migrates to
  Ubuntu, Mint, and all the other derivative distributions.

* The  packaging   efforts  should   be  separated  from   the  software
  development  itself and  usually happens  on the  Salsa Gitlab  server
  [4]. I'd strongly  recommend to allow team maintainance,  to lower the
  barrier of packaging-related contributions.

Best regards

Ole

[1] https://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines
    https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses