Re: E: simpleprogram: unstripped-binary-or-object usr/bin/simpleprogram

Previous-Subject: Re: Lintian error about a simple program
On Tue, Dec 27, 2022 at 11:02:44AM +0100, albert wrote:
> L.S.
> I have a simple program, created by an official Debian tool (fasm).

$ apt show fasm 2>/dev/null | sed --silent -e '/^Description/,$p'
 Flat assembler is a fast, self-compilable assembly language compiler for the
 x86 and x86-64 architecture processors, which does multiple passes to optimize
 the size of generated machine code.

> If I put it into a debian archive I get (among others complaints)
>
> E: lina: unstripped-binary-or-object usr/bin/lina
>
> I'm perfectly willing to strip lina
>
> ~/PROJECT/ciforths/ciforth$ strip lina
> strip: error: the input file 'lina' has no sections
> ~/PROJECT/ciforths/ciforth$ echo $?
> 1
>
> So strip refuses to work, moreover it gives an error, possibly
> indicative of more problems.
>
> I can find a flag to give to strip to suppress the error condition it gives back.

(-:
     strip: error: the input file 'lina' has no sections
:-)

> My personal opinion is that lintian should check on superfluous
> information, such as debugging symbols. The absence of sections should
> exonerate a program from containing superfluous information.

Acknowledge.  And what is expected from sharing the personal opinion?

In other words:

If you don't know what the purpose of `strip` is, say so.
If you see a possible improvement on Lintian, express it clearly.
( http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#idm368 )

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--