Re: Platformer game package - "Super Bombinhas"

Hi Paul,

Thank you again for the answers. I will surely take most of your suggestions into account to improve the quality of my project.
Answering your questions:

> The game appears to be GNU GPLv3 and CC-BY-SA-4.0 rather than MIT licensed.
You're right. I confused it because it used to be MIT, but I changed it a while ago.

> I thought Ruby could load code from multiple files, maybe using
modules or similar, so deb.sh and bundle.rb probably are unnecessary?
bundle.rb is still useful for the way I currently create an executable for Windows. deb.sh would still be useful to copy the files to the package structure (or is there a better way to do this?)

> I wonder about where the res/alevaLogo.svg file came from, what it
refers to and what the license is. It also doesn't appear to be used
anywhere in the codebase?
It's no longer used, I removed the "Aleva Games" name from the project and decided to launch it under my own name. By the way, none of the SVG files in the project are being used. They are remainders from long ago, when the game's graphics weren't even pixel art... I will remove them.

> I note that data/img/ui/minigl.png was rendered from Inkscape but
there is no corresponding minigl.svg file. It also doesn't appear to
be used anywhere in the codebase?
It's the logo from my engine, I don't see the point in including the original SVG file in the project. It is used in the code, referenced as ":minigl" (because of how my engine works, it assumes PNG as the default extension).

> How were the audio files in data/sound/ created?
I downloaded most of them from freesound.org, edited some of them myself on Audacity.

> How were the audio files in data/song/ created?
They were all composed by other people and exported to me as OGG. I don't know exactly what technologies they used, one of them I know used Ardour 6, but possibly also other software.

> How were the audio files in res/song/ created?
They were created in Linux Multimedia Studio. However, they are also no longer used, I will remove them from the project.

> There is a typo in elements.rb, replace "seciton" with "section".
Thanks for pointing that out! I already fixed it.

> There are a few duplicate files, run this command to find them: fdupes -q -r
The only duplicates I found besides the files that were copied to the "deb" folder are the README files inside the assets folders, which is expected since they only contain the license info, and some images used both in the "data/img/icon" and "data/img/sprite" folders, but that is intended (these are used in different ways in the code).

Regarding the other points I have no commentary. Some of them I will probably act upon before generating the package.

Thanks,
Victor

Em seg., 1 de fev. de 2021 às 23:47, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> escreveu:
On Mon, 2021-02-01 at 08:36 -0300, Victor David Santos wrote:

> Thanks for the detailed feedback. Just to make sure, not all of these
> items you pointed out are mandatory for the package to be accepted,
> right?

All of the points I made are my personal opinions. There are a range of
different approaches to the things I brought up within Debian and
opinions on them vary widely. I don't generally sponsor packages so my
opinions don't really matter here and I expect there are plenty of
folks who would not require any of the changes I suggested. I only post
my opinions in order to try to influence people to do things in what I
see as a way to mitigate lots of downsides of certain practices.

> For example, the fact that my font image doesn't support all
> character sets. It's not viable for me to make it support all of
> them, instead I would update it on demand as new translations were
> made...

An alternative approach would be to render text from the system fonts
at runtime, that would give you support for every language with fonts.
That might not fit with your design philosophy though, so perhaps it is
best to stick the current approach of hand-drawn pixel fonts for now.

> If you could point out to me which of these are changes I must do,
> that would help a lot... I don't have as much time to dedicate to
> this project as I would like. :/

Reading through the intro guide, creating a Debian source package
(rather than just a .deb) and packaging gosu/minigl are the only things
you must do. Answers to the questions I asked would not take long to do
and would be useful to have.

> The Gosu library is not owned by me, so how would I proceed to have
> it packaged for Debian? Is it really necessary, considering that it's
> a Ruby gem, publicly available from rubygems.org?

Each dependency must be separately packaged in Debian properly with a
new source package (.dsc) and one or more binary packages (.deb).

Personally I would suggest packaging them from the upstream source on
GitHub rather than from the Ruby gem files. That isn't mandatory for
Debian packages of Ruby projects though.

https://www.libgosu.org/
https://github.com/gosu/gosu/
https://github.com/victords/minigl

--