Re: Jitsi meet packaging

Hi all,

Thanks for the interest in the project. There are a few concerns I have, first is that we do not have the resources to maintain this.

The second one is that the project sometimes follows the pace of the browsers to do new releases. Which means a new version every 6 weeks. We had two or three occasions in the last few years where everyone needs to update due to a breaking change in the browsers, like a mandatory field being added in SDP, or the old bridge not supporting the new DTLS version. And because of the pace of how things evolve, we do not support old release doing backports. This means that if a package goes in stable it may happen to soon be unusable.
And sometimes backporting a change is even not possible :) Like the DTLS change, the update was moving of using a complete re-write of the bridge ... new dependencies and totally new project ...

And if someone chooses the path of doing the job we are talking about 150-200 dependent libraries, I'm not sure how many of those are already in Debian, I would guess not much ... This was the main problem when we did the Jitsi Desktop submission to the Debian repos, It took us, one person, fulltime for almost six months.
Nowadays the video bridge had been rewritten and has fewer dependencies. I'm also not sure about the state of Kotlin, is it yet in the repos, cause it is one of the dependencies?

Regards
damencho