RE: Packaging a .NET Core application & pbuilder

Ansgar <ansgar@debian.org> wrote:

> Still, having to first install some other package from some third-party
> repository as proposed here for the systemd-genie package before being
> able to use or build software is not very user-friendly and also makes it
> harder to find sponsors interested in reviewing and uploading the package.

I definitely agree; my original motivation for wanting to get systemd-genie into contrib was that at the moment, using it requires the use of two third-party repositories.

(I had experimented using the option to compile a .NET Core app down to a single native executable to cut that down to one, but since that turned a 101 KB executable into a _14 MB_ executable, I threw that idea out. The .NET runtime dependency at least is shared.)

So, since the tools are there and if I can do it, it's looking to me like packaging .NET Core for main first is going to be the best way to go.

Regards,

Alistair