Re: Packaging a .NET Core application & pbuilder

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 22:14:36 +0500, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:

> > > No, the package still needs to be built without network, using only its
> > > contents and packages from Debian.
> > > You also need to produce a package that can be installed with apt and usable
> > > after that, as I'm not sure how is your current package supposed to get the
> > > deps needed to run it.
> >
> > I'm a little confused, then:
> > https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#the-contrib-archive-area
> > told me that packages included in contrib included "free packages which
> > require contrib, non-free packages or *packages which are not in our
> > archive at all* for compilation or execution" (emphasis mine); and
> > wouldn't the dependency on dotnet-sdk-3.1 count under the last of those?
> AFAIK the working is too careful, and nobody actually uploads contrib
> packages that download stuff needed for building, even though that's not
> forbidden by the Policy and the buildds not necessarily disable network
> access. I may be wrong, of course.

libdbd-oracle-perl is such an example; it's in contrib because it's
free software itself but needs oracle software which is not even in
Debian. Typically someone builds it by installing the needed stuff in
a local cowbuilder etc. chroot and then uploads the binary packages.

And potential users have to jump through the same hoops to get the
oracle bits.

What Alistair is planning sounds quite similar, except for automating
the download+installation of the not-in-Debian prerequisites.

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe