Re: Best way to patch a public header file before installation

On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:20 PM Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> Long story short, I believe this fixes the symptoms and not the actual
> bug. I would even go one step further and make that arch specific
> include be restricted (Debian policy) to only a subset of packages
> (gcc, libc...), since I fail to understand why there would be arch
> specific information in public header (obviously for a package not
> dealing with low level arch specific).

On my system most of them look fairly low-levelish (see below).

The dedup.d.n service and the multi-arch hinter can tell you when
there are the same/different header files in the same place on
different arches.

https://dedup.debian.net/
https://wiki.debian.org/MultiArch/Hints

> In my case, and I suspect in the vast majority of packages, this is
> just lazy programming where a public header contains an implementation
> detail that was used during the build but is meaningless to expose to
> the final user.

I think it would be interesting to explore this and or add some code
to the multi-arch hinter to show header diffs between arches in
/usr/include and the multi-arch subdirs of it.

$ find /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/ -print0 | xargs -0 dpkg -S | cut
-f 1 -d: | sort -u
libc6-dev
libcurl4-gnutls-dev
libexpat1-dev