Re: more recent version with python3 support

Hi!

TLTR, Tiago seems to be *completely* correct here, you didn't state the package name,
so you might want to try to grasp a solution before reading this email.

But *please* read it eventually, because the Python3 package is probably broken

>I have packaged a Python library which has support for both Python 2
>and 3 and didn't needed "debian/*.install" files[1]. It has two binary
>packages, "python-*" and "python3-*", under "debian/control"[2] and
>"PYBUILD_NAME" environment variable defined in "debian/rules"[3]
>(which is required[4] by Pybuild).
>
>Regards,
>Tiago.

I did check the package for pybuild, and it seems working/building correctly with it.
I don't want to share a patch with you, but the changes are

-Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9), dh-python, python-all, python-setuptools

+Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9), dh-python, python-all, python-setuptools, python3-all, python3-setuptools

new package
+Package: python3-django-notification
+Architecture: all
+Depends: ${misc:Depends}, ${python3:Depends}

(note the python3:Depends)

and changes on rules:
-%:
-       dh $@ --with python2
+export PYBUILD_NAME=django-notification

-override_dh_clean:
-       rm -f django_notification.egg-info/SOURCES.txt
-       rm -f django_notification.egg-info/PKG-INFO
-       dh_clean
+%:
+       dh $@ --with python2,python3 --buildsystem=pybuild

and now lets see the build:
Copying django_notification.egg-info to /build/django-notification-0.1.5/debian/python3-django-notification/usr/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/django_notification-0.1.5.egg-info
Skipping SOURCES.txt
running install_scripts
File "/usr/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/notification/models.py", line 193
print "Updated %s NoticeType" % label
^
SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'

oops, the package isn't really Python3 ready, so I suggest you
to try 2to3, or carefully patch it to be Python3 compatible.

Hope this helps,

and sorry if I gave you an unwanted solution :)

Gianfranco