Re: Useless call to ldconfig and shared libraries issue

El Dimarts, 3 de febrer de 2015, a les 23:12:36, Andrey Rahmatullin va
escriure:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 12:46:10PM +0100, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > I have seen a similar issue trying to package another piece of software.
> > The question is, IMHO that:
> >
> > - you cannot install a library outside /usr/lib or /usr/lib/$ARCH
> >
> > in debian.
>
> This is an incorrect statement.

I think that in general, it's not accepted to install a public library outside
this directories. The policies recommend that.

> > Technically you can do it. Put it, add your directory in
> > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/
> > rerun ldconfig and it should run.
>
> This is an incorrect solution.

Why? please could you be more elaborate?

> > Also, I don't think that the rpath could be a good solution [4].
>
> That link contains "Currently, the only generally accepted use of this
> feature in Debian is to add non-standard library path (like
> /usr/lib/<package>) to libraries that are only intended to be used by the
> executables or other libraries within the same source package." which
> basically means "it *is* considered a good solution".

My mistake has been that I thought that the package built a public library,
where it was a private library. In my mail, talking about public libraries, I
understood that:

While there's no policy dictating the accepted use of RPATH, it's been a
general consensus that RPATH use is discouraged, given the interactions
between the above reasons and Debian's way of dealing with libraries and
package dependencies.

Also, as you said:

Currently, the only generally accepted use of this feature in Debian is to add
non-standard library path (like /usr/lib/<package>) to libraries that are only
intended to be used by the executables or other libraries within the same
source package.

That 's the current case.

Leopold

Linux User 152692     GPG: 05F4A7A949A2D9AA
Catalonia