Re: Useless call to ldconfig and shared libraries issue

On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 12:46:10PM +0100, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> I have seen a similar issue trying to package another piece of software. The
> question is, IMHO that:
>
> - you cannot install a library outside /usr/lib or /usr/lib/$ARCH
>
> in debian.
This is an incorrect statement.

> Technically you can do it. Put it, add your directory in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/
> rerun ldconfig and it should run.
This is an incorrect solution.

> Also, I don't think that the rpath could be a good solution [4].
That link contains "Currently, the only generally accepted use of this
feature in Debian is to add non-standard library path (like
/usr/lib/<package>) to libraries that are only intended to be used by the
executables or other libraries within the same source package." which
basically means "it *is* considered a good solution".

--
WBR, wRAR