Re: Making a package that amounts to GBs of .wavs data?

Hi Víctor,

On 28/10/2015, Víctor Cuadrado Juan <me@viccuad.me> wrote:

> On 15-10-28 09:14:34, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
>> I assume there is no way to split the 2GB files, right?
>
> The drum kit files kit is comprised of several little .wav files that are
> recordings of the same drum kit part at different intensity. So, it would
> be possible to split them in to several packages, but I doubt those parts
> alone could be reused by other software at all.

Sorry if I am asking silly question. But to the best of my knowledge,
wav is quite fat because it is uncompressed. Would it be better to
compress it losslessly to flac? I personally do this all the time with
my CDs. Is it because the "lossless" compression is actually lossy in
the ears of musician? Or is it because it will be too slow to decode
compressed audio?

> On 15-10-28 10:09:32, Tiago Ilieve wrote:
>> There was some related discussion here about downloader packages[1] a
>> couple months ago. I guess a separate package for downloading the drum
>> kits recordings, which can be added as dependency for either DrumGizmo
>> and Beast, would fit this use case.
>>
>> [1]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2015/08/msg00208.html
>
> That sounds like a sane idea when one takes into consideration that more
> kits from the community could appear in the future. I think I will
> definitely take this route.
>

> --
> Víctor Cuadrado juan
> --
> E-Mail: <me@viccuad.me>, OpenPGP-Key-ID: 0xA2591E231E251F36
> Key fingerprint: E3C5 114C 0C5B 4C49 BA03  0991 A259 1E23 1E25 1F36
> My signed E-Mails are trustworthy.

Cheers,
Alex