Re: Making a package that amounts to GBs of .wavs data?

On 15-10-28 21:31:09, Alex Vong wrote:
> Hi Víctor,
>
> On 28/10/2015, Víctor Cuadrado Juan <me@viccuad.me> wrote:
> >
> > On 15-10-28 09:14:34, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> >> I assume there is no way to split the 2GB files, right?
> >
> > The drum kit files kit is comprised of several little .wav files that are
> > recordings of the same drum kit part at different intensity. So, it would
> > be possible to split them in to several packages, but I doubt those parts
> > alone could be reused by other software at all.
> >
> Sorry if I am asking silly question. But to the best of my knowledge,
> wav is quite fat because it is uncompressed. Would it be better to
> compress it losslessly to flac? I personally do this all the time with
> my CDs.

One could process the upstream samples and compress them losslessly as FLAC,
prior to packaging it in Debian, and do the reverse on install since .wavs
are what DrumGizmo uses. Next step would be to make upstream to use FLAC
Looking on the internet, it seems that we could reduce the size to 50%.

I don't have a great insight on audio signal software, but it seems that for
historical reasons and simplicity alike that type of software prefers .wavs
(which are just raw digital samples of the audio signals).

> Is it because the "lossless" compression is actually lossy in
> the ears of musician?

I would say no :). Lossless is mathematically lossless, which is useful
for storing purposes or manipulating the signal (our case). If you don't
use lossless then you are missing information. Example: MP3, which uses
psychoacoustics (among other things) to discard what a human may/cannot
hear, but must sound lossy to a cat (assuming we are reproducing the
sounds in a perfect chain with perfect speakers).

> Or is it because it will be too slow to decode
> compressed audio?

I think it poses a latency problem if done on the fly. DrumGizmo works by
(say, from a midi sequencer, keyboard, or an electronic midi drum kit) it
plays the sounds, doing some magic to sound like a real microphoned drum
kit. Latency becomes very notable once you are playing an electronic
instrument for the input.

--
Víctor Cuadrado juan