Re: Making a package that amounts to GBs of .wavs data?

Hi,

>For that package to work, one needs to download the drum kits recordings,
>which amount at ~2GBs per kit. One can find some of these drum kits
>made by the community here[2], for example. They are licensed (eg, Creative
>Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported), and in good shape to be packaged.

I assume there is no way to split the 2GB files, right?
>Does it make sense to package them, or should be refrain of adding such
>big packages from being in Debian?

you should talk on debian-games mail list [1], because I know there have been similar
discussions there (and many games have huge data files)

[1] pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org

>It's good to note that maybe these drum kit packages could be reused by>more software apart of DrumGizmo. For example, A person has shared in
>#debian-mentors that he could use those packages with Beast[3].

this sounds nice indeed.

To me there is no stopper for big packages, maybe you might talk with the debian admins
to see if the sync might become difficult, or the repo too heavy, but I don't think
they will block you.

Just think about making them more generic as possible, to make them used by other packages
aswell, and think about splitting in more packages.

(note, I don't look at packages without an RFS bug, and the package you mention is not part of unstable
anymore, removed due to guile-1.8 transition rm)

cheers,

G.