Re: How to determine when being packaged under Debian?

Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 3:55 AM, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>> Yeah, this is why I'd put a check into the Debian packaging to be sure
>> that the software was built this way and abort the build during the
>> check phase if it wasn't, with a big comment explaining the situation.
>> Then hopefully anyone else who picks up the package, if that happens,
>> would be aware.

> OK, so this is something only a maintainer can do? (I'm OK with that;
> I'm just trying to understand the process).

It would be a check that could be added to the Debian packaging files to
verify the build.  Anyone who can push changes to the packaging files
could do that, and of course people could submit a diff via the BTS, but
yeah, normally the package maintainer would maintain those files.

> We try to minimize external dependencies (even a package maintainer is
> a dependency in the process). So we were hoping/looking for something
> like (its a C++ library):

> #if defined(PACKAGE_BUILD) && !defined(CRYPTOPP_INIT_PRIORITY)
> # pragma message "It is recommended you define CRYPTOPP_INIT_PRIORITY."
> # pragma message "See https://cryptopp.com/wiki/Config.h for details."
> #endif

Hm, given that this is just a warning, why not do this regardless of the
PACKAGE_BUILD variable?  The package build wouldn't fail, but people
building with the wrong options would see that message.