Re: Suspicious file changes in -dbg between old and new packages

On 2015-09-22 08:41, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> Hi Niels,
>
> [...]
>> As for the build-id and how it is computed.  It is based on the
>> internals of the ELF binary including but not limited to:
>>
>> * The path where the binaries were compiled
>> * The options given to gcc when compiled
>> * Time and day, if such are included in the code (__DATE__ macros
>>   and such).
>

> So how did it work for Thomas with the previous version installed?
>
> /me is confused :)
>
> cheers,
>
> G.

If the old and the new binary have the same build-id, they can reuse the
same debug symbols - regardless of the debug symbols are installed by
name or by build id. :)

So if Thomas can use the old foo with the new foo-dbg, then I guess:

 * foo-dbg is missing the strict mandatory dependency (or Thomas passed
   force options to dpkg), and
 * Thomas built it in the same path as the previous location with the
   same options, and
 * upstream does not use any time based macros?

On the plus side, this would imply that the ELF binaries are build
reproducibly. :)

Thanks,
~Niels