Re: Suspicious file changes in -dbg between old and new packages

Hi,

Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> well, if -2 and -3 didn't change symbols (e.g.  you didn't patch the source
> code), why shouldn't it work?

I still wonder why it did not work on the first try.
I had installed cdrskin and libburn-dbg multiple times
since the change from debhelper 8 (.so in -dbg) to
debhelper 9 (.build-id files in -dbg).

Then Andrey reports success, i re-install cdrskin without
a good reason, and suddenly the debugging symbols are found
by gdb.

The web tells me that there is gdb option -symbols=file and
a startup file .gdbinit. But i did not use the option and
the whole Sid disk does not have a file .gdbinit.

The name of the symbol file is in the binary:
  $ strings /usr/bin/cdrskin | grep 66fcd4b56be0f2cc505c54b4ab566e582c8b1e
  66fcd4b56be0f2cc505c54b4ab566e582c8b1e.debug
So the feature seems to be based on a compile time trick.

I was not able to break it by further installations.
The initial riddle stays unsolved.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas