Re: Suspicious file changes in -dbg between old and new packages

On 2015-09-22 07:30, Gianfranco Costamagna wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>

>> And why does it still work when i install back 1.4.0-2 ?
>

> well, if -2 and -3 didn't change symbols (e.g.  you didn't patch the source code),
> why shouldn't it work?
>
> (I'm not sure to know how exactly the build.ids are mapped to the binary code, but I guess
> they work as long as the symbols table don't change)

The debug package needs a strictly equal dependency on the original
package, such as: "foo (= ${binary:Version})".  That is orthogonal to
the usage of build-ids (that is, you must use the strictly equal with or
without build-id based debug paths).

As for the build-id and how it is computed.  It is based on the
internals of the ELF binary including but not limited to:

 * The path where the binaries were compiled
 * The options given to gcc when compiled
 * Time and day, if such are included in the code (__DATE__ macros
   and such).

Thanks,
~Niels