Re: Suspicious file changes in -dbg between old and new packages

Hi Niels,

>If the old and the new binary have the same build-id, they can reuse the
>same debug symbols - regardless of the debug symbols are installed by
>name or by build id. :)

so the __TIME__ __DATE__ macros are not used, but *might* be used
and not during the build-id computation, but during build, right?
(I mean, it is a side-effect, not a requirement)

>So if Thomas can use the old foo with the new foo-dbg, then I guess:
>
>* foo-dbg is missing the strict mandatory dependency (or Thomas passed
>   force options to dpkg), and
>* Thomas built it in the same path as the previous location with the
>   same options, and
>* upstream does not use any time based macros?
>

>On the plus side, this would imply that the ELF binaries are build
>reproducibly. :)

Yes, I fully agree, this was the same conclusion.
I guess it is a good empiric method for knowing if the build is reproducible :)

thanks a lot!

(that is a field where I don't touch if it isn't broken, and usually it worked so
well that I never had to touch it :D )

cheers,

G.