Re: Restructuring roxterm packaging (was Replacing roxterm's multiple binary packages with one)

On 17/06/15 04:56, Vincent Cheng wrote:
On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Tony Houghton <h@realh.co.uk> wrote:

What I found was that if roxterm-gtk3 is installed, but not roxterm (the old
virtual package), dist-upgrade doesn't install the new roxterm package. I
was expecting the 'Replaces: roxterm-gtk3' in the new roxterm to make that
happen. 'apt-get install roxterm' does remove roxterm-common and
roxterm-gtk3, replacing them with roxterm-data and roxterm, which is good.
Should I just leave it at that, or is there something I can and should do to
persuade dist-upgrade to automatically replace roxterm-gtk3 with the new
roxterm? How would I do that? 'Provides: roxterm-gtk3' perhaps?

Make roxterm-gtk3 a dummy transitional package (i.e. Section: oldlibs,
package around for at least one release to facilitate upgrades).

That won't cause problems due to the reversed dependencies? One disadvantage I can foresee is that this will cause everybody who automatically upgrades from version 2.x to have this virtual package installed. Is "Provides" definitely the wrong thing to do?

If I do use a new dummy package I think it would be a good idea to notify users that they can remove it, or is it not important enough to justify potentially interrupting the upgrade process? And is NEWS.Debian the correct mechanism for such messages?