Re: Restructuring roxterm packaging (was Replacing roxterm's multiple binary packages with one)

On 15/06/15 08:19, Vincent Cheng wrote:

If these changes are inevitable, it's really up to you as to when you
want to make them happen (I'd suggest that doing them early in the
release cycle is better than later, however). I think these changes
sound fine in principle, although a debdiff would certainly make it
easier to make a judgment. Either way, please be sure to test various
upgrade scenarios with piuparts and/or manually using a chroot/VM
before uploading your package!

I've done some testing. I had to set up a repo with reprepro anyway to be able to test what apt-get would do, but I didn't find piuparts very useful beyond creating a persistent chroot with its -k option.

What I found was that if roxterm-gtk3 is installed, but not roxterm (the old virtual package), dist-upgrade doesn't install the new roxterm package. I was expecting the 'Replaces: roxterm-gtk3' in the new roxterm to make that happen. 'apt-get install roxterm' does remove roxterm-common and roxterm-gtk3, replacing them with roxterm-data and roxterm, which is good. Should I just leave it at that, or is there something I can and should do to persuade dist-upgrade to automatically replace roxterm-gtk3 with the new roxterm? How would I do that? 'Provides: roxterm-gtk3' perhaps?