Re: Facilitating contributions by newcomers

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 02:13:09PM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > Have you considered adding the 'gift' tag[0] to some BTS bugs?
>
> I probably should do that; I actually wasn't that familiar with the
> gift tag before this e-mail.

Just to share a recent experience: thanks to proper triaging of "gift"
bugs for debsources (see [1]), and to the fact that how-can-i-help now
lists "infrastructure" bugs, we've gained a new prolific contributor to
debsources (hi Jason!).

[1]: http://deb.li/debsrceasy

I highly recommend to anyone taking the time to triage bugs in their own
packages and tag them +gift as needed.

FWIW, similar experiences in other projects (e.g., "easy hacks" in
LibreOffice) confirm that the whole approach of triaging "bugs for new
contributors" does work.

> > [0] https://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/GiftTag
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts about elevating the gift tag to a
> fully-fledged BTS tag?

As the person responsible for adding +gift support to devscripts back in
the days, I've always regretted not having pushed for a full-fledged BTS
tag at the time. We should definitely do that, but also think at
backward compatibility. For instance, how to guarantee that existing
queries like [1] above do not break?

Also, a while ago (cannot find the thread right now) we discussed with
Lucas how the name "gift" could be misunderstood as a patronizing
characterization, if you think that's a gift from Debian Project to the
newbie contributor. Whereas in fact it was meant to be the other way
around.  So, in picking an actual tag name, we should probably change it
to something like "easyhack" (LibreOffice name), or "newbie", or
"bitesize" (Ubuntu name).

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader  . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .