Re: Facilitating contributions by newcomers

On 2014-11-10 22:12, Roger Light wrote:
> I think this is a worthwhile idea, but would like to suggest that if
> you're going to go down the approach of badges/accomplishments then it
> would be good to consider how to encourage existing DDs to become
> active in mentoring.

That's one of the key points here: by working with a list of small
tasks, the time commitment needed is much smaller, so this approach
should enable more DDs to help.

> My experience is that making the package is the easy bit, the tricky
> bit is getting someone to take notice, provide feedback and eventually
> upload the package.

In my experience, properly reviewing a package can take a significant
amount of time. Hours, if the packager is inexperienced. And that's only
the review part. Mentoring the packager to a point where the package is
in an acceptable state takes even more time.

I do believe, however, that mentors prefer to (continue to) work with
people they know, so beginning with small tasks could be a good
opportunity to connect with people.