Re: Facilitating contributions by newcomers

On 2014-11-11 03:06, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
>
>> How do you see the transition from a mentee to a DM going?
>
> Something like this:
>
> Do a bunch of tasks through the proposed program.
>
> Feel more confident in your knowledge of Debian.

I would add here: meet people in Debian.

I'd expect that once you've done a few tasks with a couple of DDs, the
chances of finding a sponsor later should be much higher.

> Find some software in Debian that you use that isn't well maintained
> or some software you use that isn't in Debian yet.
>
> Decide you want to work on that software.
>
> Start working on the package.
>
> Find a sponsor for the package.
>
> Do a few uploads through the sponsor.
>
> Have the sponsor tell you to apply for NM because you are great.
>
> Apply for NM.

Total agreement here.

The second part (after my remark above) represents the steps of regular
process; these steps can be significant hurdles to a newcomer -- and to
mentors.

By adding the steps above my remark, I'd hope that both contributing and
mentoring should become easier.