Re: Please help translate old rules file on the installation rules

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 18:18:21 +0600, Andrey Rahmatullin wrote:

>> I saw in the log,

>>    dh_installdirs
>>   debian/rules override_dh_auto_install
>> make[1]: Entering directory '/export/build/pkg/ddclient/bld/
>> ddclient-3.8.2'
>> install -m 755 ddclient \
>>   /usr/sbin/ddclient
>> install -D -m 755 debian/ddclient.NetworkManager \
>>   /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/50-ddclient
>> dh_auto_install make[1]: Leaving directory
>> '/export/build/pkg/ddclient/bld/ddclient-3.8.2'
>>    dh_installdocs ...
>>
>> Seems to me that DESTDIR is empty. Wouldn't dh_make/debuild set DESTDIR
>> at the beginning of the build?
>
> Neither dh_make (which, by the way, is not run during the build process
> at all), nor debuild set DESTDIR. DESTDIR is passed to make install when
> (and if) dh_auto_install invokes it.

Good to know. Regardless the internal details on how things are passed
along beneath the surface, how to fix it so that my debian/rules works
and my built package is not empty?

Again, here is my tweaked new rules file:

---------------------
# main packaging script based on dh7 syntax
%:
	dh $@

override_dh_auto_install:
	install -m 755 ddclient \
	  $(DESTDIR)/usr/sbin/ddclient

	install -D -m 755 debian/ddclient.NetworkManager \
	  $(DESTDIR)/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/50-ddclient
	dh_auto_install