Packaging from upstream's Git repository.

Hello everybody,

I am trying to package the new 'datamash' tool.

    http://www.gnu.org/software/datamash/

I am currently in contact with the upstream author about how to make the Debian
source package.

I would prefer to propose him a solution where the sources used by Debian are
directly his Git repository, intead of using git-import-orig to import tarballs
made by ‘make distcheck’, since the first solution obviously enhances the
possibility to exchange patches.

I am blocking on the fact that he uses gnulib in a way that the version number
of his program is expressed only via a Git tag.  Thus, given that Debian source
package are based on tar archives, the version number is lost unless I use the
“sources” produced by ‘make distcheck’.

Does anybody know a simple solution to that problem ?

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan