Re: Real newbie ....

On 14/04/14 22:00, Barry Drake wrote:
> On 14/04/14 18:48, Tobias Frost wrote:
>> Just debstrap yourself an Debian sid chroot for development :) Will be
>> also easier to get support here, as there are differences to Ubuntu,
>> and you spare yourself the dual-booting :)
>
> Haven't a clue as to how to do that.

The information at [1] is a very good guide, especially using
pbuilder-dist (from ubuntu-dev-tools).

Picking out a piece of informaton from [1]:

> If you want to build Debian packages on Ubuntu, you need to install
> Debian archive keys and add Debian distribution name, Debian mirror
> and key location to pbuilder command line like this:
>
> sudo apt-get install debian-archive-keyring
> sudo pbuilder create --distribution unstable \
> --mirror ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ \
> --debootstrapopts "--keyring=/usr/share/keyrings/debian-archive-keyring.gpg"

Running Ubuntu or any other Debian/Ubuntu based operating shouldn't in
my opinion be a barrier to contributing to Debian.

Currently I run Linux Mint and use chroots for Debian Wheezy, Testing
and Unstable as well several Ubuntu releases.

Regards,
--
Daniel Lintott
GPG Key: 4096R/5D73EC6E