Re: Real newbie ....

+++ Barry Drake [2014-04-14 17:49 +0100]:
> On 13/04/14 22:59, Wookey wrote:
> >I built your source in an uptodate unstable chroot (after fixing
> >the package version number to have a '-1' on the end). It built
> >fine, installing libicu52 to do so, and ended up with that dep in
> >the final packages. So the problem is in your environment
> >(chroot), not the sources or the tools. Wookey
>
> I am really baffled now.  Here's what I've done:
> Made a clean install of Ubuntu Saucy 13.10 64bit on a second hard
> drive so I still have 14.04 as a dual boot.
>
> Booted into the clean 13.10 and installed the following:
> build-essential automake libtool libicu-dev lib64z1-dev debhelper
> dh-make fakeroot lintian pbuilder quilt debhelper cmake libz-dev
> pkg-config libcurl4-gnutls-dev libclucene-dev libicu-dev chrpath
>
> Then I checked out a fresh sourcetree from sword svn and did the following:
> cd sword-1.7.3
> sudo pbuilder create

You are making an Ubuntu Saucy chroot to build in, not a Debian
Unstable chroot. That's why you keep getting it built against libicu48
(and a load of other wrong libraries for unstable).

You need to make a debian unstable chroot to build in. Someone else
gave the debootstrap runes for that elsewhere in the thread.

You can't build debian packages correctly in Ubuntu and vice versa -
too many things are slightly different (and you shouldn't try - it's
just confusing, as demonstrated by this thread).

Wookey
http://wookware.org/