Re: Real newbie ....

On 14/04/14 18:48, Tobias Frost wrote:
Just debstrap yourself an Debian sid chroot for development :) Will be also easier to get support here, as there are differences to Ubuntu, and you spare yourself the dual-booting :)

Haven't a clue as to how to do that. So I thought 'when in Rome'. I decided to pop a spare hard drive into the trayless caddy that I normally use for backups. I installed Debian on that drive, and sadly, it doesn't work. It asked me part-way through the install if I had a some necessary proprietary drivers, but it didn't say which ones, so I answered 'no'. I assume it wanted X11 drivers as it failed to start the graphics environment. I got out of it by doing <ctrl>+<alt>+<f1> to get a terminal. Shame really, but this is possibly why so many folk don't use Debian. If you can point me to solutions to this, I'll persevere.

Regards,        Barry.