Re: DEP8 tests using the built package source

Hi Jakub,

Thanks.  If you answer on autopkgtest-devel@ only please CC me.

> * Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>, 2014-03-19, 10:47:
> >>autopkgtest calls dpkg-buildpackage to do the actual package
> >>build, so for adding this to autopkgtest explicitly, we could
> >>add a flag for that and call dpkg-buildpackage --target.
> >
> >Hmmmm, it seems I had a bad preconception about autopkgtest:  We
> >do not test against a binary package?
>
> Short answer: hopefully we do!

:-) !

> Long answer:
>
> You can declare that a test needs to be run from a built source
> tree. Then the test runner will build the package. But that doesn't
> necessarily mean that the built binaries will be used for anything.
>
> Now, adt-run(1) has multiple modes of operation. In some of them the
> built binaries are used to satisfy tests' dependencies, in others
> packages from the archive are used. (This is super confusing. :/)

+1 for confusion.

> I hope that ci.debian.net is configured in such a way it uses binary
> packages from the archive.

I also hope so.  We recently had a discussion about biopython[1] whether
to run dh_auto_test or not if autopkgtest exists.  I'm in clear favour
of running dh_auto_test and based my arguing on the assumption that
autopkgtest is testing the binary packages.  I'd be happy to hear the
opinion of the autopkgtest experts about this.

Moreover I observed another issue with autopkgtest which is quite
astonishing to me:  In bug #741274 it was reported that the autopkgtest
would fail and the according log is here:

   http://ci.debian.net/data/unstable-amd64/packages/p/python-pysam/2014-03-12.log

The problem is that `make` was not available in the chroot (obviosly)
which does not sound very reasonable to me.  While I added it to the
Depends in debian/tests/control I think it is not sensible to assume
that make exists in a build chroot (it is not in the Build-Depends) but
trying to build the package somehow and than notice that it is missing.
I admit that I'm really confused how autopkgtests are working.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[1] https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2014-March/025612.html

--