Re: DEP8 tests using the built package source

* Martin Pitt <mpitt@debian.org>, 2014-03-18, 12:08:
the alternative of building the required bits inside the tests itself is not appealing either, because to do that you would typically need to add stuff to Depends.

It would be great if there was a way to tell the test runner to run a dedicated debian/rules target (say, "debian/rules adt-prepare"), instead of doing full-blown build.

It's not too complicated to do that with the current specs: add @builddeps@ to debian/tests/control's Depends: and just call "debian/rules build-tests" (or whichever target you have) in debian/tests/mytest.

I know it's not technically difficult. :)
But I want to keep my Depends as slim as I possible.
See also: http://lists.debian.org/lf6ge0$v4h$1@ger.gmane.org

autopkgtest calls dpkg-buildpackage to do the actual package build, so for adding this to autopkgtest explicitly, we could add a flag for that and call dpkg-buildpackage --target.

If by "a flag" you meant "a new restriction", then it sounds good to me. :)

--
Jakub Wilk