Re: DEP8 tests using the built package source

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 15:41:15 -0300, Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>
wrote:
> not subscribed to debian-mentors, please Cc: me explicitly if you still
> need my input.

Noted, thanks for noticing :-).

> >> Stephen Kitt <skitt@debian.org>, 2014-03-15, 14:53:
> > A local adt-run using an unstable chroot or qemu works, whether run from
> > the built or unbuilt source tree. But the tests fail on ci.debian.net; as
> > far as I can tell it doesn't try to build the source package before
> > running the tests, so they fail (see
> > http://ci.debian.net/data/unstable-amd64/packages/libe/libevdev/2014-03-14.log
> > for the last run).
>
> This is related to the way that the version of debci on ci.debian.net
> invokes adt-run. I am about to deploy a new version that does The Right
> Thing (TM) and should probably fix the issue you are seeing.

Excellent!

> > Jakub Wilk
> >> ==> debian/tests/control <==
> >> Tests: check
> >> Restrictions: needs-root build-needed rw-build-tree
> >> Depends: @builddeps@
> >
> > It's probably unrelated to the problem you're observing, but this
> > Depends is certainly incorrect. The specification says that “tests
> > must test the INSTALLED version of the program”, but there is nothing
> > in Depends to ensure that the program is in fact installed.
>
> ... this is an important point. You have to make sure that the any tests
> will run against the code that is _installed_ and not against the code
> that was just built. Also, it would be really nice on the test
> infrastructure if you could build strictly the bits you need to the
> tests instead of building everything. e.g. the ideal would be build
> _only_ the unit test files (assuming they need to be built) and not all
> the other code (since you are supposed to run the tests against the
> installed version of the package)

Indeed, thanks to Jakub for pointing that out. I've reworked the upstream
tests to build using the installed package.

Your point concerning building only the required bits effectively means that
we shouldn't use "build-needed" in the tests/control "Restrictions" field,
but manually control the build only for the purposes of running the tests, am
I right?

Regards,

Stephen