Re: DEP8 tests using the built package source

Hi Matrin,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 12:08:02PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:

> autopkgtest calls dpkg-buildpackage to do the actual package build, so
> for adding this to autopkgtest explicitly, we could add a flag for
> that and call dpkg-buildpackage --target.

Hmmmm, it seems I had a bad preconception about autopkgtest:  We do not
test against a binary package?  I always thought (sorry for failing
reading the docs about that) that we have two types of test:

  a) automatically run by dh_auto_test at build time
  b) autopkgtest which installs the binary package in a chroot and
     runs the test script

If I understand the discussion here correctly autopkgtest is not testing
the binary package as it is downloaded from ftp.debian.org and installed
on users machines but rather creates the binary from scratch?  Hmmm, I
wonder in how far it is sensible to test the build process in two ways
but not testing the binaries which are ending up on running systems.

Just wondering - any clarification would be welcome.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de