Re: FW: No rule to install

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Octavio Alvarez wrote:

> As Paul said, if you download it from Github, you will need to generate the
> ./configure script first by running ./autogen.sh, so would have to be
> reflected in debian/rules; dh should help with that.

As folks on IRC said, the right option for that is --with autoreconf.

> This one includes ./configure already, so you should be able to save your
> step one important step and ground one variable down.

In Debian we generally prefer to build everything from source,
including the build system, so please use dh-autoreconf even with the
tarball. I would suggest using the release tarball anyway so that we
use the same tarball as upstream.

> If you have any problems with the rules or questions about the tarball
> itself, drop me an e-mail message. I just ask you not to send the mail
> message in HTML but in plain text, so console output keeps its visual
> alignment.

Octavio, could you create an OpenPGP key and sign your tarballs with
it? Some links:

http://keyring.debian.org/creating-key.html
https://we.riseup.net/debian/openpgp-best-practices

--