Re: Audiosum problem (unwanted binary)

On 04/02/14 08:36, Roelof Wobben wrote:
When I do this in my control file.

Source: audiosum
Section: sound
Maintainer: Roelof Wobben <r.wobben@home.nl>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9.0.0), dh-autoreconf, libmhash-dev
Standards-Version: 3.9.5
Homepage: https://github.com/alvarezp/audiosum

Please use http://blog.alvarezp.org/desarrollos/audiosum/ as the homepage. That's where the official releases are, and already with a ./configure file. You won't need autoreconf.

Package: audiosum
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}

Package: audiodup
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}

I don't think it would be useful to separate the binaries in two packages (you are specifying that you wish to create two packages). What you are doing here will conceptually create two .deb files and if they go in to the Debian archive, a user would have to do this:

apt-get install audiosum
apt-get install audiodup

... to get both binaries. That, and audiodup would depend in audiosum anyway. It's not worth it and just makes your own setup more complex. Much work, little gain. I'd suggest you just prepare one package that include both binaries.

Also, I got an advice from a DD of not splitting a package unless it's really necessary because of the overhead and load that causes to the Debian archive.

I see this lintian errors  :

W: audiodup: empty-binary-package
X: audiodup: package-contains-no-arch-dependent-files

Yes. I'd tell you why, but I don't want to imply that you should continue down the dual-package route.

It's easier to build just one package. Audiosum is not that big anyway.

But when I do this :

Ahh, only one package, let's see...

Source: audiosum
Section: sound
Maintainer: Roelof Wobben <r.wobben@home.nl>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 9.0.0), dh-autoreconf, libmhash-dev
Standards-Version: 3.9.5
Homepage: https://github.com/alvarezp/audiosum

(Same note as above, of course)

Package: audiosum
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}

The compiling stops with this message :

     rm -rf debian/tmp
     rm -f *-stamp
dpkg-source -b audiosum-0.2
dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
dpkg-source: error: unwanted binary file:
debian/audiodup/usr/share/doc/audiodup/changelog.Debian.gz

Hmmm.. it's debian/audiodup/usr/share/doc/audiodup, which mismatches the name of the audiosum package you are preparing. When you changed your debian/control file back to a single binary you removed the definition of audiodup. It's possible that dh (or debuild, not sure) no longer knows anything about audiodup anymore, so my guess is that it doesn't remove those files when cleaning.

I'd just remove the whole build directories that live under debian/ and try again.