Re: postgres extensions and postgres multi-version support

Hi Christoph,

thanks a lot for your fantastic help!

Am 25.01.2014 21:26, schrieb Christoph Berg:
> Re: Florian Rothmaier 2014-01-24 <[🔎] 52E2ACBF.1090603@ari.uni-heidelberg.de>
>> It should be mentioned that my "debian/rules" is still based on an
>> outdated version of "pg_buildext" from
>> "postgresql-server-dev-all" (129). So the next step will be to use v152
>> of this script which includes the "loop()" function and supports the
>> entry "all" in "debian/pgversions".
>
> The non-loop variant you have now is actually preferable over loop,
> provided things actually work. Did you try if "make install" (or
> pg_buildext install) puts things in the right location? If so, you
> could get rid of debian/*.{install,docs,dirs}.

I'm now able to drop all debian/*.{install,docs,dirs} which is really
good news. But there is one question left:

I can use "pg_buildext install" to put..
* "q3c.so" into "/usr/lib/postgresql/<version>/lib/"
* "q3c.sql" into "/usr/share/postgresql/<version>/contrib/"

Moreover, "changelog.Debian.gz" and "copyright" go to
"/usr/share/doc/postgresql-<version>-q3c/".
That's fair enough...

But "README.q3c.gz" is installed to
"/usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc-<version>/contrib/" instead of
"/usr/share/doc/postgresql-<version>-q3c/".
I think this is due to the output of the command
  $ pg_config --docdir
and the line
DOCS=README.q3c
in Upstream's makefile.

> (For the docs, a nice workaround is to use
>
> override_dh_installdocs:
> 	dh_installdocs --all README.q3c

If I look at other extension packages, e.g.
http://packages.debian.org/de/jessie/amd64/postgresql-9.3-ip4r/filelist
I can see that "README.<package>.gz" always goes to
"/usr/share/doc/postgresql-<version>-<package>/".

Your hint, the workaround

override_dh_installdocs:
	dh_installdocs --all README.q3c

would do the job, but then I would have to patch Upstream's makefile
again to avoid the installation of README.q3c to two different places,
right?

> As many pieces of software are not VPATH-ready, it may well be that
> using "pg_buildext loop" will make it easier to get everything
> working, though... (I should finally document that mode in the
> manpage.)
>
>> Could you imagine to sponsor my package or would you say it should
>> rather be maintained by the Debian Science maintainers? From my point of
>> view, it's worth to have the postgres extension "q3c" packaged just for
>> itself but it's also true that "q3c" is a dependency of a piece of
>> astronomical software I seek to package in the near future.
>
> It doesn't really matter where it is hosted or who is in the
> Maintainer field - I can sponsor it, which doesn't mean the science
> people couldn't be taking care of future versions.

Ok, this is great news for me. Thank you!

> Christoph

Cheers,
Florian

P.S.: I haven't yet pushed my recent changes to the remote git repo on
alioth.