Re: DFSG and assembler code

Le Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 10:01:29AM +0200, Andreas B. Mundt a écrit :

> To be able to compile the program with standard tools, the
> pre-compiled code of the ROM-dumpers is included in the source.  This
> code needs to be removed for DFSG reasons.

Hi Andreas,

note that the DFSG do not imply that we need to remove the pre-compiled code
from the source package.  If 1) it can be redistributed; 2) its source code is
provided; 3,4) its modification is allowed in practical terms; 5,6) there are
no unreasonable restrictions on how to use it, and 7,8,9) its license is not
awkward, then the work is Free according to the DFSG.

Nevertheless, our current quality standards for the binary packages is that
each file must be rebuildable from source, and for the ROMs discused here,
without the proper compiler in Debian it is not possible.  So in practice, this
pre-compiled code can not be added to the binary packages, but I would like to
stress that it is not because of the DFSG.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan