Re: DFSG and assembler code

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:30:32AM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:55:12PM +0200, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:
> > It contains so-called ROM-dumpers in assembler code which have been
> > removed for DFSG reasons on the older versions of this package, and I
> > followed that example and removed them from the version in sid as
> > well.
> >
> > However, as dumping the ROM of the calculator is an important feature,
> > I had a closer look at the files removed and I found that they are all
> > GPLv2+ (the upstream changelog mentions some rewrite and also some
> > licence changes).  However, they are still assembler.
>
> Assembler is just as valid a programming language as any other (or more,
> compared to, say, Malbolge).  And here you have comments, #ifdefs and so
> on, so it's not the result of disassembly.

I agree with this

> Ie, fully kosher DFSG code.
>
> > Is it necessary to remove the files for DFSG reasons?
>
> No, why?  They come with source which is clearly the preferred form for
> modification.  If assembler was forbidden, we'd have to kick out such
> unimportant packages as linux, etc.

If there is code that was the result of disassembly in-line (e.g. take
the code, make sense of it, change some names), there's a good chance
that code is still under the license of the app from which it was
taken.

if that is the case, this code would be non-free.

From a quick glance, it doesn't appear this is an issue.Have you asked
the old maintainer why?

-T