Re: DFSG and assembler code

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:55:12PM +0200, Andreas B. Mundt wrote:
> It contains so-called ROM-dumpers in assembler code which have been
> removed for DFSG reasons on the older versions of this package, and I
> followed that example and removed them from the version in sid as
> well.
>
> However, as dumping the ROM of the calculator is an important feature,
> I had a closer look at the files removed and I found that they are all
> GPLv2+ (the upstream changelog mentions some rewrite and also some
> licence changes).  However, they are still assembler.

Assembler is just as valid a programming language as any other (or more,
compared to, say, Malbolge).  And here you have comments, #ifdefs and so
on, so it's not the result of disassembly.

Ie, fully kosher DFSG code.

> Is it necessary to remove the files for DFSG reasons?

No, why?  They come with source which is clearly the preferred form for
modification.  If assembler was forbidden, we'd have to kick out such
unimportant packages as linux, etc.

--
ᛊᚨᚾᛁᛏᚣ᛫ᛁᛊ᛫ᚠᛟᚱ᛫ᚦᛖ᛫ᚹᛖᚨᚲ