Re: ExpoSong package

Am Freitag, den 21.06.2013, 12:23 +0200 schrieb Samuel Mehrbrodt:
> Am 20.06.2013 18:31, schrieb Daniel Beyer:
> > That's kind of strange. I for myself can not find an issue with "expo"
> > in the title, that is filled out against the WNPP pseudo-bug (which
> > does not mean it is not out there). Can you provide some more details
> > here? Please note that I'm not a DD, so my capabilities to help you
> > are limited.
> Hm, do I need to create that Issue to get ExpoSong into Debian?

I strongly recommend you open an ITP for that.

> > Did you build the package with option '-sa' to include the source?
> > Anyway I wonder about the "NOTE:" message. Never seen this one with my
> > uploads to mentors.debian.net. You might want to use dcut, as dput
> > suggests (that's what I would do in your position).
> >
> I tried again (using "dcut -f" to force re-upload) and now the package
> is there: https://mentors.debian.net/package/exposong
> I set the status to "Needs Sponsor".
> Do I need to do anything else or just wait until someone comments on it?

Just waiting most likely is not enough. On
http://mentors.debian.net/sponsors there are a some useful hints, how to
get a sponsor for your package.

As I told before, I'm not a DD, but I have some basic hints regarding
your package:

1. Make it linitan clean
https://mentors.debian.net/package/exposong lists a lot of lintian
warning. You really should take care about those.

2. Always use newest Standards-Version
We are currently at 3.9.4 - you can find a checklist for upgrading your
package at http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist

3. Add Vcs fields
I suppose your packaging is under version control at
http://code.google.com/p/exposong/. You should therefore add the fields
Vcs-hg and Vcs-Browser to debian/control - further details:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-vcs

4. Drop out old changelog entries
I suppose exposong never was in Debian before. Therefore your newest
version would be the "Initial Release" and debian/changelog should
represent that. Also note that you do not need to increase the version
for each upload on mentors.debian.net.

5. Is your package really native?
I doubt your package is native - please have a look at:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMentorsFaq#What_is_the_difference_between_a_native_Debian_package_and_a_non-native_package.3F

> Thanks
> Samuel

Daniel