Re: How to handle a package triggering ice or segv during build?

On 2013-06-17 11:59, Thomas Moulard wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> So what you need to do is move the building of the documentation into
>> the build-indep debian/rules target (instead of the build target).
>> That way it will not be built and thrown away on the buildds.
>
> Ok, I understand now. I investigated a bit and wrote this patch [1].
>
> However, [2] and [3] seem to imply there is more do to than this simple patch.
> Could you confirm whether these information are obsolete or not?
>
> (this patch works for me in pbuilder / when I call dpkg-buildpackage -B)
>
> [1] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=debian-science/packages/visp.git;a=commitdiff;h=6994be42b1aa3e5d700187fd432a09abb4e542e4;hp=0361f28d746259e3131928c12786e90b7aace299
> [2] http://asylum.madhouse-project.org/blog/2012/01/26/buildd-workarounds/
> [3] http://nthykier.wordpress.com/2011/11/11/build-arch-for-everyone/

[2] and [3] are "obsolete" in the sense that dpkg currently carries a
work around to detect if the build-arch / build-indep targets are
present.  If that can be reliably detected for your d/rules then you
shouldn't have a problem with adding/using these targets[4].

~Niels

[4] Either explicit targets (e.g. "build-arch:") and the catch-all
target "%" works just fine AFAIK.