Re: How to handle a package triggering ice or segv during build?

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 2:31 AM, Jakub Wilk <jwilk@debian.org> wrote:
> * Thomas Moulard <thomas.moulard@gmail.com>, 2013-06-14, 15:50:
>
>> the ViSP[1] software I maintain is causing GCC[2,3] and Doxygen[4] to
>> crash on some platforms.
>

> Why does it build documentation on the buildds? You put documentation in a
> separate arch:all package, so that sounds wasteful.
>
> But anyway...

Actually I think so too but I am a bit reluctant to process the
Doxygen documentation locally
then copy it into the package (mainly because it will easy to forget
updating the documentation).
If you are aware of a package that could serve as a reference for
Doxygen documentation packaging
then I would gladly mimic its behavior in my package.

>> It is difficult for me to fix or to report these issues as:
>> 1. I am neither a DD or a DM,
>> 2. I do not have access to these architectures by myself.
>>
>> I was wondering if opening a bug (on the Debian BTS) for GCC and Doxygen
>> is acceptable in this case?
>

> In theory, yes. In practice, neither GCC nor Doxygen maintainers have time
> (or goodwill...) to debug these issues for you, so you'll be asked to it
> provide more information. So you might as well skip the bugfiling part until
> you collected enough information. :)
>
> The correct course of action is: Ask your sponsor to debug the problems for
> you. If that doesn't work, ask for help on ports' mailing lists
> (debian-mips@, debian-sparc@, debian-arm@).

Thank you for all the advices.

I asked my usual sponsor about having access to porteboxes.
I will try to isolate the issues, see if this is not an intermittent
problem and report
a minimal case if possible/necessary. I may also post on the different
mailing-lists
if I cannot find a reasonable solution.

Best,
--