Re: dpkg-deb: error: control directory has bad permissions

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 11:47:13PM +1000, Stuart Prescott wrote:

> >> Why not?
> > Because I don't think it's intended to be used like this. It's not even in
> > /usr/bin.
>
> Actually, it's pretty much exactly what it is for -- pbuilder calls it or
> one of the other variants to install build-deps.
I wouldn't assume it calls it directly, in the package directory and
without arguments. Without documentation and taking into account its
clearly internal nature and placement I wouldn't risk calling it manually.
This doesn't mean it can't be used, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised
if it couldn't.

> >> What should the poster do instead? (using pbuilder-satisfydepends
> >> is a perfectly good route to installing all build-deps for a package
> >> although I wouldn't do it on a real system, only in a disposable chroot)
> > mk-build-deps is one of the usual way to do this.
>
> sure. I know that. I just don't understand why that suggestion wasn't in the
> first message. If you're going to go to the trouble of replying to a
> question on the mentors mailing list, why not answer the question? "Don't do
> that" has precisely zero informational value but has more than a hint of
> (unwelcome) hostility.
Sorry, I have a bad habit of not trying to guess what people are trying to
do when they ask why some undocumented things broke instead of asking
directly how to achieve the original goal.

--
WBR, wRAR